Sunday, May 4, 2014

Hetzers gonna Hetz and so did I!

Today was my annual pilgrimage to the local Air Show.  I have to admit I was somewhat reluctant to go since I was feeling it was getting a little old because it doesn't seem to change much from year to year. Checking the program online,  I saw a F-22 Raptor would be attending.  I knew I didn't want to miss that and I headed out the door to the show.  I was in for a nice surprise, though.

I hopped off the Tram from the parking lot and walked straight towards the reenactment camp, my favorite part of the show, when I immediately spotted a Hetzer.  Not only was it a Hetzer, but there was a short line to actually climb inside it.



























The access hatch.

Looking down the gun sight they had positioned the the Sherman tank so you could see it.  The sight had the triangles to help in compensating for moving targets.  I wish I had remembered to take a picture of the sight.
Stored ammo.
Sitting inside seemed so uncomfortable. Can't imagine what it must have been like moving and in combat. Driver's side.
It's for sale if you want one.

Sherman with Tunisia markings.  They let you climb on but didn't let you go inside.
Some sort of Russian Jeep with the BA-64 that was there last year.


Not sure what this is?
WW1 New Zealand reeanctor.  I think he said 3rd Auckland?


The F-22 demonstration was mind blowing.  What that plane can do is absolutely amazing.  You can hear and feel the power.  Take off straight to vertical.  Flied backwards, sideways, seemed to float in the air at a stand still.  I'm glad they made it look like a plane or you would think it was a UFO.  A BSEG on my face the entire time.


Sorry it's so far away in this picture.  I was going to put the zoom lens on but I just wanted to soak it in. Next time.


























What a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! A friend of mine has actually driven a Hetzer, he said the clutch comes back so hard it can break your leg, and it has a 20 metre blind spot in front of the drivers vision slit. Nice! The F-22 looks amazing. Great to see a New Zealand re-enactor too (I'm a Kiwi). Cheers, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool photos. The hatch to get into the Hetzer is so small! It must be tiny inside.

    ReplyDelete