I finally got around to adding some decals for the first time, having some approach avoidance in the past but thinking I could use the decals to help differentiate platoons in order to avoid confusion during the fog of battle. I was hoping to avoid using a high gloss coat for the decals and after some research, I found some videos on YouTube for using Microscale Industries, Inc. Micro Set and Micro Sol. I didn't have to give the model a gloss coat and considering this was my first time, I was very happy with the results. The two step process seemed quick and easy.
A good tip is to label the Micro Set and Micro Sol lids to remember the order of use. After accidentally switching the lids, a better tip is to label the bottle as well:
I'm a somewhat quick and dirty painter, settling on table top, playing quality due to limited time and, well, I'm not that great of a painter. I mostly use dry brushing techniques:
Using a tip Dirty Jon posted on the WWPD forum, I starting adding radio antennas using brush bristles. Finding the right brush was harder than I anticipated since the bristles tended to be bigger than I liked, bent in a wavy pattern, or some color other than black. I'm pretty sure I would like to go with a thinner antenna but I seem to be having trouble finding something. I'll keep looking.
Overall, I'm very happy with the results. I'm especially motivated since I found out the next WWPD campaign will be in North Africa. I was unable to participate in Operation Sea Lion since I didn't have any European troops completed.
Next, I'll finish basing the additional four 25pdrs to give me a full battery of eight. Then I'll start working on the Heavy Armoured Squadron of Grants I had glued before realizing I have to adjust the tracks slightly. After that, the much anticipated Bersaglieri followed by an Eighth Army Light Armoured Squadron of Crusaders. Can't wait!